Wednesday, March 23

*** Release Day Blitz & Review *** Desperately Seeking Epic by B.N. Toler


Title: Desperately Seeking Epic
Author: B N Toler
Release Date: March 23, 2016
Find on Goodreads






Paul James loved Clara Bateman.
Hating her would have been easier.
She was the past, and he was hell-bent on keeping her there.
Or so he thought...

Craigslist Ad: DESPERATELY SEEKING EPIC

You’re my father.

I don’t know much about you. I know your name is Paul James, you’re a thrill seeker, and once upon a time you did stunts and people called you ‘Epic.’

I’ve been told you don’t know about me. That it’s complicated.

But for me it’s simple.

Here’s the thing: I’m twelve years old…and I’m dying.

And as much as this could crush my mother, I have to meet you before I go.

In time, I’m sure she’ll understand. She’s still in love with you.

So, Epic, if you read this, please come back. You don’t have to be my dad. You don’t even have to tell me you love me or you’re sorry. Just come see me.

Patiently waiting, but running out of time,

Neena








My Review 

There are some stories in which the blurb demands that it be read. This was that book and when it landed on my Kindle I dove straight in and didn't come up for air until I was done. B.N. Toler put such a unique twist on the way she told this story. I teared up, laughed, got frustrated, and felt my heart grow. Everything an epic story demands. 

Neena is dying. She's only 12 and since she's never met her dad, she put out a Craigslist ad hoping to find him. Paul James is a wonderer. He always has been. When one of his trips has to be put on hold because his account manager is demanding a meeting before any more money will be deposited, he's upset and is determined to make that known when he returns. Yet he gets a lot more than he bargained for when he gets home. Clara Bateman is used to loss but the new reality that she may very well lose her daughter is beyond the realm of what she's ever suffered. When she finds out that her daughter wrote a Craigslist ad hoping to find her father and then finding out that it's gone viral, she's worried. Paul and Clara have a rocky past and when they're face to face again after 13 years, long held anger, frustration and soul deep love come rushing to the surface. 

This story was a delicate balance of past versus the present and it was perfectly balanced. I was pulled into their story and the ingenious way that it unfolded. I fell in love with not only Neena, Clara and Paul, but a whole cast of side characters that really helped tie the story together. This is in parts a very heavy and emotional story but with such an all encompassing story light and laughter surrounded these characters making them come to life. While the story is about Clara and Paul, it's really the story of Neena. At times I wanted a bit more from Clara and Paul and their romantic journey, but Neena's story was so important and it was well told. B.N. Toler is one of my favorite authors and Desperately Seeking Epic is an example of why.

Reviewed by Paige 

★★☆ 4 "Epic" Stars ☆★★

Buy it
Read it
Love it





B N Toler lives in Virginia. When she's not reading and writing, she's thinking about reading and writing. Before she became a self-proclaimed writer, she worked as a real estate agent and as an orthodontic technician. **She will notice your teeth before your eyes or hair or anything.**

She enjoys shopping (way too much) and is on a first name basis with several employees at the local Target in her town.

She loves music,(bluegrass, country, 80's, actually she loves most music ~her favorite song is American Pie by Don McLean and she worships anything that is Elvis and Johnny Cash and Eric Church) dancing, (even though she sucks at it)reading, writing, eating (too much) sleeping late, (which she rarely gets to do) and laughing. If you can make her laugh, she will love you forever.






No comments:

Post a Comment